Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Lights, camera, action...wait I missed it. Can we try that again?

Clarkston junior varsity Wolves coaches Sarah Wasilk, left, and 
Kendall Rock celebrate their teams first goal against Birmingham
Groves on March 26. (Photos by Angelique Harrison/ WSUPJ)


          When I think sports photography, I think of these great photos of the soccer starts in the air mid-kick, or the baseball players mid-swing with the ball suspended in the air.
          I thought that this assignment was going to be the easiest because I have captured some of my family member’s games. I thought that this was just going to be a point and shoot assignment and I would have no issues at all. That was not true.
          The first issue I encountered was finding a game because one season was ending and the season for spring sports was just starting. I was struggling so hard to find something, but then a classmate suggested shooting gymnastics.
          That was the most difficult sport I could have chosen to take pictures of. There were so many different areas of the event going on that it was hard to keep track of all of the kids who were doing the different events.
Artemis Thomopoulos, of Birmingham Groves, 5 , fends off several Wolves 
players. 
          After looking at the photos I was not satisfied. A lot of the photos were blurry, and there was no way for me to tell which kid was in what picture doing that event.
          I was able to find a soccer game at my old high school, which was a lot easier to capture photos during the game.
          When looking at those photos, a lot of the pictures were still blurry, but I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I have an older camera that can’t go above 1600 ISO, and can’t capture a lot of photos on continuous mode.
          All in all, I think this was a great way for me to learn a different aspect of covering sports as far as photos.

         For more photos from my sports photography assignment, check out my gallery. 


Several fans celebrate the first goal of the Birmingham Groves soccer team. This was the first goal of the game until Clarkston scored in the second half to tie the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment